Be sure to check our calendar for times and locations of upcoming events!
This (all ages) group offers emotional support, insight, and understanding to parents of children with any special needs. The group meets the first Wednesday of every month from 6-8 pm (NEW TIME!) at the DSACC office. Meetings are led by Carolyn Tellalian, LCSW. Please know that this group is open to parents and caregivers to a child or adult with ANY disability and a valuable resource for support. Childcare provided. Spanish Translator can be provided if notified in advance. Please RSVP if you will be bringing a child or need a translator. Contact us at 559.228.0411, email@example.com
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019: IEP Binder Building with Terasa & Caorlyn (we have all the supplies for you)
- Wesnesday, December 4, 2019 : Holiday Treats
- January 2020: NO MEETING
Not able to make it in person? Join us via ZOOM! Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/291892764
Or iPhone one-tap : US: +16699006833,,291892764# or +19294362866, 291892764#
Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 929 436 2866
Meeting ID: 291 892 764
Creating a Plan: Footprints for the Future
This program is aimed to help you plan for the future when you will not be around to take care of your child or loved one with Down syndrome or other disabilities. It is never too early to start planning and we are here to help make the process as painless as possible. Consisting of 3 mini-workshops, we will hear from local experts on everything from CVRC’s role, financial planning, Special Needs Wills & Trusts, to the small details in-between.
- Cost $15 per person or $20 for 2 (Cost includes dinner & ticket for all three mini workshops) We encourage both parents and older siblings who might become guardians of their siblings at some point in the future (if not already)
- Session 1: Thursday, November 7, 2019 from 5:30-8:00 pm Welcome! Starting & understanding the process
- Session 2: Thursday, November 14, 2019 from 5:30-8:00 pm Financial Planning, Able Accounts, Special Needs Wills & Trusts presented by Paul A Cantrell, CFP®, CLU®, CASL®, FIC
- Session 3: Thursday, November 21, 2019 from 5:30-8:00 pm Conservatorship presented by Paralegal Services of Fresno
Merced Fall Fest
We invite you to come out to the inaugural Family Fall Fest and enjoy some good food, fun, new friends & old, and find local resources for your loved ones with Down syndrome.
Tickets $5.00, Individual with Down syndrome – FREE, 2 & under – FREE
Serious Saturday Fun!
Join us for some weekend fun- a chance to meet up with friends and meet some new families! Siblings welcome!
DSACC Office: 1491 W Shaw Ave, Fresno Ca 93711
Saturday, November 16, 2019:
- Mini Me’s (birth – 8 yrs & parents) : meet up 9:30-10:45 for story hour & free play
- Tweeny Boppers: (9 & older) meet up 11:00- 12:30pm- Holiday Hangout!
Sibshops acknowledge that being a sibling of a person with special needs is for some a good thing, others a not-so-good thing, and for many- somewhere in between. Participants are led through a variety of games and discussions to foster new friendships, knowledge & acceptance. Facilitated by Gayane Petrosyan.
For the 2020 year, we will be doing a couple of Sibshops in the Fresno area & we will be doing some in the Visalia area! Please be on the look out for those future dates in our Newsletter and our DSACC Facebook page.
DSACC is excited to announce it’s next session of PUBERTY & RELATIONSHIP workshops for teens and young adults, funded in part by a grant from the Fansler Foundation.
People with developmental disabilities are the victims of sexual, physical and verbal abuse at a rate that is alarmingly higher than their peers without a developmental disability.
A primary objective of this course is to empower and provide our loved ones with the information and coping mechanisms to prevent becoming a victim of abuse. Participants will learn about making friends, recognizing different types of relationships and if a relationship has gone bad; appropriate public and private behaviors; and how to deal with body changes as they grow from teens to adults.
- Teens & Adults (13 -22yrs old)
- 8 consecutive Wednesdays beginning August 21 (August 21, 28 September 4, 11, 18, 25 October 2, 9)
- From 5:00-6:00pm
- Room 7, Visalia Naz: 3333 W Caldwell Avenue Visalia, CA 93277
- Teens & Young Adults (13 -18 yrs old)
- 8 consecutive Thursdays beginning August 22 (August 22, 29 September 5, 12, 19, 26 October 3, 10)
- From 4:00-5:00pm
- DSACC Office: 1491 W Shaw Avenue Fresno, CA 93711